Wordfence Security plugin provides best real-time protection to a WordPress site. Wordfence is a complete security solution and available free and paid version. It offers many free features such as Web Application Firewall, Malware Protection, WP-login Protection, IP Blocking, Country Blocking, Advanced Blocking, Live traffic view, Whois Lookup etc. That makes your site more secure from hackers.
But it seems little heavy for high traffic site and if you are planning to remove Wordfence Security plugin from your WordPress site. Then you will need some attention because if you have enabled Wordfence Firewall (Web application firewall) protection, It is necessary to remove the Wordfence carefully. Otherwise your site will be into trouble. So here I going to tell how you can safely remove or fully uninstall Wordfence Security plugin without breaking-down.
Please backup database and files before doing this uninstallation.
Safely remove or fully uninstall Wordfence security?
Follow the steps below to completely remove Wordfence Security Plugin from your WordPress site:
#1. Disable and Remove Wordfence firewall:
First you will need to disable Firewall protection. Wordfence web application firewall available in two mode Basic WordPress Protection and Extended Protection. Basic protection can be easily disabled than Extended protection.
Disable Basic Firewall Protection:
To remove Wordfence Basic WordPress Protection:
- Go to Wordfence and Click on Firewall.
- Now choose Disabled from the Firewall Status dropdown menu, after this click on Save button.
If you have enabled Wordfence Firewall in Extended Protection, then you need to take precautions. To remove Extended Protection safely:
- Go to Wordfence and Click on Firewall.
- Now click on Firewall Status dropdown menu and choose Disabled, After this click on Save button.
- Scroll down the page and you will see Advanced Configuration option. To completely remove Extended Protection click on Remove Extended Protection button.
- You will see Wordfence Web Application Firewall page. Here you will need to select your Firewall installation method, with that you had installed Web application firewall. After selection click on Continue button.
- Next you will need to download .htaccess and .user.ini file, click on the file to download. After download the both files, click on Continue button.
- Finishing Removal page will appear, Wait now for 5 minutes and you will see Uninstallation was successful! message.
- You have now successfully removed Firewall protection.
#2 Disable Wordfence Falcon Engine.
This process is only for those who are using Wordfence Falcon Engine to make site faster. If you using Wordfence Falcon Engine then it is must disable Falcon Engine before uninstalling WordFence Security.
- Go to Wordfence and Click on Performance Setup.
- Select No performance improvement radio button and click on Save Changes to the type of caching enabled above button.
- Confirmation box appears Caching Successfully disabled and click on Click here now to refresh this page. And Falcon Caching has been successfully disabled.
#3 Delete Wordfence tables and data on deactivation?
If you dont want to install Wordfence Security Plugin again then it is good for your WordPress site remove unnecessary Wordfence database tables and data.To remove Wordfence tables and data along with the Wordfence uninstallation,
- Go to Wordfence and Click on Options.
- Scroll down the page and end of the page you will see Delete Wordfence tables and data on deactivation check box. Tick the check box and click on Save changes button.
#4 Deactivate and delete Wordfence Security plugin:
After doing all above 3 steps, the time is now Deactivation and deletion of Wordfence Security Plugin.
- Go to Plugins.
- Click on Deactivate available below the Wordfence Security.
- After Deactivation click on Delete.
- On next page click on Yes, delete these files and data button to completely remove Wordfence from your WordPress site.
That’s it now you have successfully uninstalled Wordfence Security plugin from your WordPress guide.